Hang when mutt uploads to IMAP folders

[Resending this message because earlier attempts did not go through]

I have cause to use Mutt to read mail kept on an MS Exchange server.
I do this with IMAP.  The fact that the other side is software written
by Microsoft is no doubt a cause of many of my problems, but I have no
control over this.

I have Mutt save the messages I send to a folder on this server.  (I
call it "Sent".)  Sometimes, when I try to send mail, the client
and/or server hangs on uploading the message to my Sent folder.  I've
seen this happen when I use Pine as well, so I suspect it's a server
problem.

Even if it is a server problem, Mutt has a problem in that it does not
handle this gracefully.  It will not time out, and it will not let me
interrupt it, meaning my only recourse is to kill it from another
shell, restart Mutt, dig out my message from the /tmp directory, and
try again.  Pine will let me break the connection without a restart;
this would be preferable.

So, my questions are:

1) Is there some setting I am missing that will make Mutt handle this
more gracefully?  I suspect not.  The "connect_timeout" variable
looked promising, but when I looked at the source code, it turns out
it's only relevant when first initiating the connection.  For my
usage, that's only when I first start up Mutt.

2) If there is no setting I can use, is there a patch that takes care
of this, or do I have to write it myself?

3) If I do have to write it myself, would the mutt-dev mailing list be
a more appropiate place to discuss this?

--
muttmail () muttmailbamaewyu ! merseine ! nu