Re: mutt - slow mbox'es

Hi,

> I once switched, but maildir was considerably slower than mbox.
> What could be the reason for this?

There were some bugs in mutt which made maildir extra slow, you didn't
use the maildir header cache. And maildir adds extra overhead due to
opening/closing each message seperatly when no maildir header caching is
in use.

> Which file system would be best for each?

I think for mbox it doesn't really matter as far as you can fast
retrieve data from it, so in theory any filesystem.

For maildir the best filesystem is reiserfs or a tuned ext3fs as
mentioned on MEs blog.

Gruesse,
        Thomas