Re: charset question

also sprach Adeodato Simó <asp16@xxxxxxxxx> [2004.07.18.1517 +0200]:
> > Weird. Now it seems to work here too. Can you confirm that this
> > message (which I sent unsigned because only unsigned messages have
> > been problematic) is using us-ascii and not utf-8?
>
>   iso-8859-1, which it's ok given my family name (which you included)
>   has a non-ascii char. $send_charset seems to be honored now.

I still don't get it.

I just sent a message plain-text (i.e. without GPG and all it
contained was: ü (u-Umlaut):

These are the message headers from =sent:

and the same headers were present when the message arrived here
again.

If I don't send a ü (u-Umlaut), it selects us-ascii. If I put a ü in
there, it does UTF-8, even though 8859-1 would suffice.

Yet, I now sent this message once and caught it in the queue and
found it to be iso-8859-1.

why is one utf-8 and the other 8859-1???

vim shows fileencoding=utf-8 for both during compose. But even if
I set it to =latin1, mail sent still sometimes ends up as utf-8.

The results seem nondeterministic. Sometimes utf-8, sometimes
latin1. there must be something I am overlooking.

totally confuzzled.

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: krafft.bogus@xxxxxxxx madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

darwinism is nothing without enough dead bodies.