imap downloads complete mails instead of headers only?

hi there,

I tested using IMAP to read my personal mailbox from remote (i usually
read it locally).
Because my server is located behind an ADSL with not much upload
speed, i was wondering why it's taking so long for mutt to show up
my emails in the index view.
I detected that mutt seems to download not only the headers of the
emails, but the complete content of all emails that are shown in the
index view (defaults to the first 25 ones here), and store them in
my temp directory. Though it makes sense to speed up the access to
the single emails, it's a bit annoying to wait 5 minutes for being
able to read at all (happened so with an email containing several
large attachments).

After scanning the local docs and the mutt homepage, i wasn't able
to find out how to change this behaviour. Is it even changeable, and
if yes, how? And why does mutt that? I checked the behaviour of
mozilla thunderbird and that one seems to download only the headers,
which is AFAIK conforming to RFC.

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter

--