Re: mutt, PuTTY, and ISO-8859-1, oh my!

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:38:24AM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> * David Storrs <dstorrs@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-07-13 19:11 -0700]:
> > If I hand-edit the charset to ISO-8859-1 and repost it to my
> > mailspool, mutt shows it correctly.  So, it looks like the problem is
> > more that this message is lying about what it contains than anything
> > to do with mutt or my config.
> >
> > Is there any way to tell mutt "any message from this mailing list
> > should be considered ISO-8859-1 no matter what it claims to be"?
>
> A combination of charset-hook and some other hook should do the trick.

Yup, that did it; Hallelujah, and thank you VERY much.

For the record, in case anyone else has this problem in the future,
here's what I ended up with:

PROBLEM

          Characters from the Latin1 character set are not displayed
          correctly.  This could be because your Mutt is not
          configured to show them, or (as in my case), because the
          header on this particular message listed a charset of
          'us-ascii' even though the email actually used ISO-8859-1
          characters.

SOLUTION

        In my .muttrc:

           #  These four lines tell Mutt to use Latin1 (ISO-8859-1) as
           #  its standard charset.
           set charset="ISO-8859-1"
           set send_charset="ISO-8859-1:us-ascii"
           set use_8bitmime
           set allow_8bit

           #  This line makes us-ascii an alias for iso-8859-1
           charset-hook us-ascii iso-8859-1

        In my .profile:

           export LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1

--