mutt, PuTTY, and ISO-8859-1, oh my!

Problem:  Mutt will not display non-ASCII characters properly. (I just
see a '?').

Setup:

I'm running Win XP locally, I SSH (using PuTTY 0.53b) to my mailserver
(4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD) where I'm using Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19).

I am on a mailing list which commonly sends non-ASCII characters--for
example, the Yen character.  All I get for these characters is ?.
I've RTFMd, I've Googled, I've asked on IRC, and I cannot get this
working.

My .profile defines my LC_CTYPE as 'ISO-8859-1' (I've also tried
'ISO_8859_1') My .muttrc contains the following lines:

        set charset="iso-8859-15"
        set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15"
        set use_8bitmime
        set allow_8bit

(I have also tried using these two charset lines:

        set charset="iso-8859-1"
        set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1"

but that causes the threading graphics to become hosed and does not
work anyway.)

My PuTTY translation is set to ISO-8859-1 (I have also tried setting
it to ISO-8859-15).  I do not believe that it is a problem with the
terminal, because when I Emacs my mailspool, I see the international
characters just fine.  It is only when I view them inside Mutt.

As a workaround, since Emacs displays correctly I could just edit any
message containing international characters--but that is a kludge, and
I'd like to get mutt working properly.

Any ideas on what I should do?

--Dks
--