How can I tell which message is selected in the index?

When I'm in the index, is there any way to tell which message will be read
when I press space?

My Mutt index has a status line at the bottom and a line with some commands at
the top,
but in between the only thing that appears is a line for each message
with no indication of which message is selected.

I expected some kind of highlight line to show me which message will be read.

I also expected some way to move through the index to select individual messages
but can't seem to find that in the help.  Using J and H only work in the pager.

Is there a configuration directive I need?

Larry Alkoff

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX