mailcap/autoview setup problem

I am running mutt on a winxp box in a cygwin32 environment. I try to
setup my ~/.mailcap to use i_view32.exe for all image links, and my
~/.muttrc to view them automatically.

Here's my ~/.mailcap:

image/*; /progra~1/irfanview/i_view32.exe %s
text/html; links -dump %s; copiousoutput

And my ~/.muttrc says
auto_view text/html image/*

The text/html setting works as expected, including the autoview
aspect.

When I select a message with a small gif image, I see a red error
message at the bottom of my mutt window:
'mailcap entry for type image/gif not found'
and the body contains a
'[-- image/gif is unsupported (use 'v' to view this part) --]'
line for the gif attachment.

When I hit v to see the attachments list, go down one line to skip the
(empty) message part and hit enter on the image/gif line,
i_view32.exe is launched, but without the gif file.

This seems to indicate that the mailcap entry as well as the program
are found.

This behaviour is the same when I replace all image/* by image/gif.

When I launch i_view32 from the command line with the gif filename as
argument, the image is shown as expected.

When I leave out the image/* from the autoview statement in .muttrc,
the red error status message obviously no longer appears. The
remainder of the problem is as described above.

Any advice would be most welcome.

tia, guido.