Mutt segfaulting with certain index_format/spam combos

Hi, folks!

I've been using Mutt very happily for quite some time now but recently
as I've begun getting more and more spam I've noticed that periodically
I'll get a spam email with a bunch of weird characters that will cause
Mutt to die instantly with a 'Segmentation fault' error. This is
particularly annoying when I've gone through about two screensful of
careful deleting of all the spam but haven't yet synced out the deletes
:P (I know---someday I'll learn...).

Anyway, I poked around a little and discovered that it happens only when
I use my own personalized index_format line; using the default line it
works. I also tested it on both uxterm (I think that's just an xterm
that's told to do UTF-8, but I'm not sure---it could be a Debian thing)
and gnome-terminal. I'm attaching a gzip'ed mbox with two of the emails
that seem to break it---sorry if there's offensive content in them;
they're mostly gibberish characters to me. Here's the rest of the
nitty-gritty (sorry if this is a known problem or not a Mutt problem---I
run on Debian unstable so it's not a completely 'standard' build):

Works with this .muttrc:

set folder=imap://mail.ee.byu.edu
set spoolfile=+Inbox
#set index_format=" %Z%M │ %-5.5y │ %-70.70s │ %-18.18B │ From %-27.27n │
%-20.20t │ %[%Y %b %e], %[%l:%M %P]

...but breaks with this one:

set folder=imap://mail.ee.byu.edu
set spoolfile=+Inbox
set index_format=" %Z%M │ %-5.5y │ %-70.70s │ %-18.18B │ From %-27.27n │
%-20.20t │ %[%Y %b %e], %[%l:%M %P]

(Tested it in both uxterm and gnome-terminal).

mutt -v output:

Mutt 1.5.6i (2004-02-01)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.4-harsh-dellsmp (i686) [using ncurses 5.4] [using
libidn 0.4.1
 (compiled with 0.4.1)]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  +IMAP_EDIT_THREADS  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  +USE_GNUTLS
+USE_S
ASL  +USE_SASL2
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
-CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +COMPRESSED  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS
+HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
 +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID
+HAVE_GETADDRINFO
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

patch-1.5.3.rr.compressed.1
patch-1.5.5.1.tt.compat.1-cl
patch-1.5.5.1.nt.xtitles.3.ab.1
patch-1.5.4.vk.pgp_verbose_mime
patch-1.5.4.fw.maildir_inode_sort
patch-1.3.23.1.ametzler.pgp_good_sign
patch-1.5.3.Md.gpg_status_fd
patch-1.4.Md.gpg-agent
patch-1.5.3.Md.etc_mailname_gethostbyname
patch-1.5.1.cd.edit_threads.9.2
081_nbrown.auth_imap_plain
Md.use_debian_editor
Md.muttbug
patch-1.4.admcd.gnutlsbuild.53d
patch-1.4.admcd.gnutls.59d

...If there's other information that would be helpful or if this is some
sort of path-interaction problem or whatever just let me know. Thanks!
--
Daniel Teichert, BYU ECEn Dept. CSR
Email address: danielt@xxxxxxxxxx