Re: problems with german key / locales

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 04:23:04AM EDT, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Enrico Weigelt in <20040424033707.GA25912@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > I've set my system to use german locales (LANG=de+friends).
> > But now mutt changes some keys, i.e. those for the sort menu
> > (normally bound to "o"), so I have to type "of" instead of "ot"
> > for threaded sorting. Is there any chance to change these keys ?
> > (can they also be bound ?)
>
> No, you can't change that. If it really bugs you, edit po/de.po and
> change/remove all translations,

To clarify a bit, what you're asking for is effectively a different
locale than the one created by the German Mutt translation team (or
whatever they call themselves).  If you want your own locale that's
highly similar to an existing locale, you've got two shortcut options:

1) The solution Christoph posted is to edit the existing locale, and
be happy.  This works perfectly fine if you're the only user on your
system and you never want the existing locale untouched.

2) Another neat solution is to set your locale to my_funky_locale instead
of de, and make my_funky_locale.po an edited copy of de.po, or IIRC it's
possible to actually "import" de.po into my_funky_locale.po, and only put
the changes themselves into my_funky_locale.po.  That way, upgrading Mutt
won't nuke your changes.  You'll also want to add a fallback chain to your
system locale config so my_funky_locale falls back to de et al for other
applications (or create symlinks from de.po to my_funky_locale.po for all
applications you want to use under German locale; or set your locale to
my_funky_locale only for Mutt, and leave it on de for everything else -
which you can easily do with a ~/bin/mutt script).  This solution works
even on a multiuser system, since it preserves the integrity of the
original de.po locale.

HTH,
 - Dave

Please visit this link: