mailcap troubles

I *think* I understand how to add things to my .mailcap file so that
they are reflected in mutt.  But, mutt still complains when it finds an
attached image: "mailcap entry for type image/jpeg not found".  What I
would like is for it to display the image inline with w3m.  To that end
I put this in my .mailcap: "image/*;w3m %s".  I'm pretty sure it's
working, because if, from the command-line, I run "run-mailcap
someimage.jpg" I get to see the image.  It's in a separate window, but
it works.  So, why can't mutt see that there *is* a mailcap entry for
image/jpeg?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William