mutt & esmtp send mail problem

I am trying to send an e-mail from my recently installed mutt using esmtp for SMTP server communication.
I get this kind of error upon sending the mail:
open: (null): No such file or directory

And on the bottom of the screen:
Output of the delivery process -- (all)
Error sending message, child exited 78 ().

I also did an strace of mutt and I see mutt is trying to unlink some file that does not exist: unlink("/tmp/mutt-******-26469-4") = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

And after that I see the 'Error sending message' in the trace.
I also thing esmtp was not even invoked, because the esmtp.log file is empty (I have set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp -C ~/.esmtprc -v -X /tmp/esmtp.log" in my .muttrc).

However, the mail I composed is copied to my Sent folder on my IMAP account, which is correct.

What could be the problem?  I can provide more information if ncessary.
Oh yes, I am using mutt 1.5.5.1-20040112+1 and esmtp 0.5.0-1 both from Debian unstable distribution.

michal