RE: [OT] Assorted Fun (was: Re: imap issues)

On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 16:14, jacob[at]buildtheb0x.com asked:

> On Tue Feb 24, 2004 at 06:28:24AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, Squirrelmail isn't exactly the best webmail program out there
>> (although I must admit it's the one I've set up for my users, so I
>> can't bash it too much).
>
> I have used Squirrelmail almost exclusively, but ready for a
> change.  Mind if I ask for your suggestion(s)?

Horde is nice. Multi language support, a few plugins, decent inteface.
The last time I installed it, the thing was a bitch, but from what I
understand it's gotten somewhat easier. You can hack the appearance if
necessary, but there doesn't seem to be much choice "out-of-the box"
Much more info here: http://www.horde.org/

OpenWebmail is another viable alternative.
Http://www.openwebmail.org
I *think* there are some OpenWebmail plugins but I'm not sure how much
of a developer community it has for that ancillary stuff. Squirrelmail
seems to have a ROCKING collection of plugins, as - based on your
remarks above - you are doubtless aware. :-)

Neomail....OK, nothing to write home about apparently - from a users'
point of view.
http://www.neomail.org
Multi language support, icon based interface (which makes some people
crazy I'm told)

AFAIK those are the major and most widely used packages. Inevitably
their feature sets are becoming more similar as time passes. All are
good, it just depends on exactly what you're looking for on your
system and what your users are saying. Mine liked Neomail, thought
Horde was kinda allright, but love Squirrelmail. I can't give you a
better overview than that. I don't much care for webmail but my users
need it, and the observations within this paragraph concerning
popularity are theirs not mine. As I said...to me these packages are
all fairly equal. You might find a feature here or there that makes
the decision for you almost, one package might be slightly faster than
another on your system, again it's a caveat emptor situation I think.
For example, I've never had to worry about performance issues since
all our hardware is waaaaaay over engineered/over-specc'ed on purpose.
However that's not always so, and thus performance issues may have to
be examined in greater detail in some situations.

I hope this gets you off to a reasonable start, and helps you review
and select the right package for your exact needs.

Regards & HTH,
-Colin