Re: Extracting GPG keys from emails

On 21/02/04 20.46, _JusSx_ wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:13:48AM -0500, Rikard E. Grafstroem wrote:
> > Ok, so I'm trying to figure out how to extract public keys from
> > emails and include them in my key ring.
[snip]

> > I use ^K in an attempt to extract the key, and every time I seem
> > to get this message :
> >
> > gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> > gpg: Total number processed: 0

Simple, OpenPGP signatures do not include the key, only the actual
signature. Getting the key is the responsibility of the OpenPGP
implementation (gpg or pgp).

> Hi,
> i think you didn't configured well you gnu gpg. you should let gpg
> get public keys automatically. So look in your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and
> make you sure those lines are uncommented and configured properly.
>
> For example:
>
> # for setting keyserver
> keyserver hkp://www.keyserver.net

You should _really_ not use www.keyserver.net! According to the
regulars on the gnupg list it is broken in, and always have been.
Especially keys using more advanced features of the OpenPGP spec are
mangled badly.

Using subkeys.pgp.net is a much better idea.

> # THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED FOR GETTING public keys automatically
> keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve

Just remember that this does not cause your keyring to be updated, for
that you must setup something manually (updating it from time to time
is a really good idea, since people might get new signatures on their
keys or even revoke them). There is also a pgp_getkeys_command
variable in mutt. With it you can get the From:-address of the mails
you verify. This is useful to call a script that updates the keys you
use more often than unused keys.

/dossen