Re: Is mutt secure enough?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, jacob[at]buildtheb0x.com wrote:

> If you are in fact using imaps:// (ssl), then all your communication with the
> server is encrypted and secure.  The ssl should establish this secure
> connection before any actuall data is passed.  If you are truly paranoid, it
> might be fun to check it out for yourself:
>
> # tcpdump -Xvni eth0 host domain.com and port 993 | grep password

Great, thanks! It could not catch the password! OT, but I couldn't find
what the "n" in the tcpdump options does, mind telling a bit?

> If for some reason your password does show up, maybe you should set the
> password in your .muttrc (but i really don't think it would).  I am assuming
> that your question is do to the fact that you are passing the username and
> password in the imaps:// url.

This might be a good idea since I'm the only one using this puter, and
your assumtion was correct, sorry if I caused any confusion. Actually I
have a bash script that runs the whole command ... I have 3 scripts, one
for each account. Now, I'm relaxed knowing that the isp guys or anyone in
the middle can't get the password so easily.

Regards,
Deboo

Pin all your hopes in God,
then you will not be pinned down by man.