Re: Using rsync with Mail-tree

Tom, et al --

...and then Ton Boelens said...
%
% Fellow Mutt-users,

Hiya!

%
% Please inform me if this is off-topic.

I wouldn't think so...

I actually was thinking about just the same sort of thing.  One thing
you'll probably want to consider is using unison, which is very good at
managing changes in both directions.

I would still do all of my mail from my server, but it would be nice to
be able to compose and organize while offline.  I would convert my spool,
postponed, and any relevant boxes to maildir (yes, I still use mbox, even
though I've thought now and again of changing :-) and then replicate my
muttrc and sig files to the laptop and sync those with unison.  As I go
through and read, delete, and respond to message from the mailboxes, my
postponed box will grow, and then when I get back to the server and sync
then I'll recall all of my postponed mails and shoot 'em off.

The one thing I don't know about this is how Maildir guarantees unique
filenames (I know it's not a raw sequence number, but are two hosts who
are out of communication still guaranteed uniqueness across the union of
namespaces?), but there shouldn't be any collisions because I'll only be
creating messages in =Postponed anyway.

Your setup should be similar even though you're planning to send from the
laptop.  Again, unison is probably a good choice over rsync since changes
could happen on either side.

Let me know how it goes so I can decide whether or not to try it myself :-)

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"