Strange indicator corruption problem ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ ñ (was: Re: Strange indicator corruption problem)

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:23:44PM EST, Nathan Howell wrote:

<ot>
BTW - I've heard from some Outlook users who don't see our ad.
Apparently, this flag thingy isn't in all versions of Outlook.
 <disclaimer>
  I have no software to test it on, so my statement above is based strictly
  on what I hear from Outlook users who're unfortunate enough to receive
  my outgoing mail.
 </disclaimer>
</ot>

> Hi all... I have a strange problem here. I've just started using utf-8,

Cool :-)

> using rxvt-unicode as my terminal.

not cool!  The Linux VT works great :-)

> Everything works great except for the
> indicator bar when viewing threads.

There are a bunch of possible problems.  I'll go through all the ones
I can think of off-hand below.  Hopefully, somebody else will fill in
the rest ;-)

> When I move the bar up the list, it corrupts various characters. The end
> of the bar moves down to the beginning of the next line, and characters
> at the end of the subject for the current message and the number for
> the next message get erased or replaced with other characters.

It has to do with the fact that the tree-drawing characters are two-byte
chars.  You'll want to make sure you've compiled Mutt with ncursesw
(that is, ncurses compiled for wide characters - read the README for
detailed instructions), for starters.

> This only
> happens when viewing threads,

I'll bet it also happens if you try viewing this message subject, even
without threading :-)

The reason is the same: Mutt screws up on the assumption that counting
characters is as simple as just counting bytes.  The most common cause,
AFAIK, is compiling with plain old ncurses instead of ncursesw.

> and only when moving the indicator *up*.
> When moving down, it actually partially repairs the corruption.

That probably has something to do with the drawing routine implementation,
but I'm no expert so don't quote me on it.

> My searches haven't turned up any solutions to this so far, so here I
> am. Any ideas? Thanks,

Ah, yeah ... searches aren't likely to be useful until you know where the
problem is likely to be.  (Else, you're kinda searching for a needle in
a haystack without even knowing what a needle looks like.  At least now,
you won't have to stick yourself with it to know you've found it.)

 - Dave

BTW - There are bound to be many other reasons I don't even know
about, since my own Mutt setup sometimes gives me funky messes.  I do
know about some bugs in GNU Screen, though, that cause some of the
interesting behavior (since it doesn't occur under only 2 nested screens,
for instance).  In your case, though, I assume you're not using screen
under your rxvt, so screen bugs are probably a non-issue for you. . .

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel