Control key and <enter-command> macros in 1.5.6

I'm hoping someone can smack me with the proper cluestick here and
help me figure out what's going wrong.  I've got a few macros that are
defined as \cx and start with <enter-command>.  Since installing
1.5.6, these no longer work.

To simplify things, I started mutt with an empty muttrc and bypassed
the system config file (mutt -n -F ~/.mutt/empty).  I enter a test
macro

    macro index \cq ":set ?quit\n" "test macro"

which then shows up in the help menu.  Pressing ^q does nothing.  In
1.5.5.1, it would display "quit=yes" as expected.  Also, other macros
using the control key function fine.  I haven't tested a lot, but I
know I have some that use <shell-escape> and <pipe-entry> which still
work.

I suspect that it has to do with my switch from slang to ncurses for
the 1.5.6 build.  That's the most obvious change I made here.  Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't even mind if I have
to remap the few macros I have like this, but I'd sure love to better
understand what's going on and why this doesn't seem to work.

$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.5.6i (2004-02-01)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.4.20-20.7 (i686) [using ncurses 5.2]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  -USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  +USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  +USE_SASL  -USE_SASL2
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

patch-1.3.27.bse.xtitles.1
patch-1.5.4.tmz.pgp-inline-broken-separator.2
patch-1.5.4.ddm.pgp-auto-decode.1
patch-1.5.x.dw.pgp-menu-traditional.2
patch-1.5.5.dw.crypt-autoselectkey.1
patch-1.5.5.dw.confirm-crypt-hook.1

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress.
    -- Frederick Douglass