Re: More questions about trying to use mutt with ssmtp

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:46:55PM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:41:38AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:30:48PM +0000, Stewart V. Wright wrote:
> > >    set sendmail="${HOME}/bin/linux/ssmtp -oem -oi"
> > >
> > > Yeah, I know it ain't science, and it sure as hell doesn't teach you
> > > what's going on, but for me life is too short.  :)
> > >
> > I finally read this properly and realised what you meant. Yes, my mutt
> > has the same defaults for sendmail.  However the -oem and -oi options
> > are explicitly listed in the ssmtp man page as doing nothing or being
>
> Correct, `` set sendmail="/usr/local/sbin/ssmtp" '' should work fine.  It
> does for me, anyway.
>
> The program "ssmtp" was the first sendmail-substitute I could get to work.
> I compiled with the -DMAILHUB define, and also made a valid ssmtp.conf file.
> Did you define "mailhub" and "hostname" in ssmtp.conf, and place that file
> where ssmtp can find it?  Did you mention Solaris?  I had to add a header
> file to ssmtp.c to get it to build: "#include <netdb.h>".

Yes, I created a valid ssmtp.conf file (well, it looked valid to me!)

I also had trouble getting it to compile under Solaris and added the
"#include <netdb.h>.

I would probably have got it to work eventually but the lack of
diagnostics does make it difficult.

> > Anyway, as I said, nbsmtp seems to be working for me and if some
>
> Even though I have ssmtp working, I worry about its not being supported/
> available in the future.  "nbsmtp" didn't show up for me in my searches;
> would you mind pasting the URL where you downloaded the source from?  TIA

http://physeeks.dyndns.org:8000/software.html

However it too looks pretty dormant, no changes for a couple of years.

I have now got things working by running the remote system's sendmail
using ssh which is neater (to my mind) and does what I need.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)