SMTP via tunnel working at last, with nbsmtp

I have finally got my sending via an ssh tunnel working, I found the
most trivial MTA ever called nbsmtp, a single 'C' source file and a
makefile is all there is.  Fortunately (for me) the Makefile knows
about solaris.  So I built it and it worked straight away, unlike ssmtp
and nullmailer neither of which I have managed to make work.

However there's one remaining question, how can I get mutt to do
something like fetchmail's 'preconnect' so that I can fire off the
required ssh command before running nbsmtp? The problem is that you
need to start ssh without mutt seeing its stdin or stdout and then
mutt sends the message to "sendmail" on its stdin (well nbsmtp
actually).

I suppose I can do it in a script somehow by starting ssh in the
background and then feeding the script's stdin into nbsmtp but it
seems a bit clumsy.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)