Re: mutt+gpg: signature verification reports 'PGP signature could NOT be verified'

Peter Møller Neergaard wrote:
> I am using mutt 1.4.1i under Mandrake Linux 9.2 (full version info is
> below).  I have followed the instructions in gpg.rc on making mutt
> compatible with gpg.
>
> When verifying a well-signed message, mutt will present the successful
> gpg output, e.g.,
>
>    [-- Attachment #1 --]
>    [-- Type: multipart/signed, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 1.1K --]
>
>    [-- PGP output follows (current time: Thu 29 Jan 2004 03:36:43 PM EST) --]
>    gpg: Signature made Thu 29 Jan 2004 02:28:29 PM EST using DSA key ID
> 6490CC10
>    gpg: Good signature from "Peter Møller Neergaard
> <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@xxxxxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@xxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "Peter M\xf8\x6cler Neergaard <turtle@xxxxxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "Peter M\xf8\x6cler Neergaard <turtle@xxxxxx>"
>    gpg:                 aka "[jpeg image of size 5212]"
>    [-- End of PGP output --]
>
>    [-- The following data is signed --]

>    [-- End of signed data --]
>
> but in the message area at the bottom it will report:
>
>    PGP signature could NOT be verified.

I'm guessing somewhat here, but seeing Attachment #1 with a type of
multipart/signed makes me think that the message you're verifying
might have come from a mailing list, like mailman, that adds a footer
and then changes the content-type of the message to multipart/mixed.

Is that guess at all close?  If so, then there's your problem I think.
I could swear this was discussed here not long ago but I can't seem to
find the thread now.  The bottom line is that this has been dealt with
in CVS.  You now get a message in the status bar to the effect of:

    "Warning: Part of this message has not been signed."

when you verify a message like this.

If that's not the issue, perhaps you could post the raw message
someplace so others could take a look at it to see if something stands
out.

Vote early and vote often.
    -- Al Capone (1899-1947)