Re: Setting tmpdir doesn't seem to work as I expected

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:25:38PM +0000, A. S. Budden wrote:
> Thus spake Chris Green:
> > In order to get the 'two browsers' viewing of HTML mail to work I need
> > to set the tmpdir variable in mutt as my GUI browser (mozilla) runs on
> > a remote system and displays on my desktop Sun using X.  Thus the
> > default /tmp directory isn't usable because /tmp is on a local disk
> > and is not the same place on the two machines.
> >
> > The relevant lines in my mailcap file are:-
> >
> >     text/html; mozj %s
> >     text/html; lynx -nocolor -cfg /usr/chris/lib/lynx.cfg -underscore
> > -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput
> >

> > 'mozj' is a script which launches mozilla on the remote system and it
> > does work if I say "mozj www.google.fr" on the command line.  The
> > above mailcap entries also do what I expect, with autoview in the
> > muttrc file I get lynx displaying the text of HTML mail automatically
> > as I want and if i hit 'v' mozilla gets launched. (Thanks to the
> > response to my previous question)
> >
> > The problem is that the filename for the HTML file is wrong, I have
> > set tmpdir to /proj/chris/tmp which is a directory visible to both
> > machines.  Lynx still displays the text of the HTML correctly and says
> > the filename is /proj/chris/tmp/mutteUayix but mozilla says that this
> > file doesn't exist.  Mozilla is quite correct too, the file doesn't
> > exist.  Does the file get deleted again before mozilla gets to see it
> > or is there something else amiss?  How can I fix the problem?
>
> Does mozj make mozilla run in the background, i.e. mozilla &

Yes, as someone mailed me directly, that is the problem.

> If so, change mozj so that it doesn't run in the background and use
> mutt_bgrun instead.

Not so easy as mozilla is being run on another system using rsh, I'm
not quite sure of the ramifications of taking the & out of my mozj
script but at least I know the reason for the problem now and I can
investigate solutions.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)