Re: Changing Headers in the Compose screen

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:27:00PM EST, William O'Higgins wrote:

> I am trying to create a macro to change my headers in the compose
> screen.  I use a mess of different email addresses which I manage with
> different rc files.

If my config [1] is useful but lacks specific functionality you need,
there's a high probability that I'm willing to add it (or that I'm already
planning to add it - see the TODO file), if not to my own config at least
as a "special order" for you.  As you can tell from my "From:" address
here, I have my address set automatically depending on a few factors.
I can add more without much difficulty.

> Some instances are taken care of with folder hooks,

folder-hooks are probably the only thing you won't see from me.  I keep
all my mail (including sent mail) in my inbox until it gets sufficiently
old, and then I move it to my oldbox.  If I want to read through messages
for a particular list without being bothered with other stuff, I just
limit to it.  (Likewise, if I just want to see stuff I sent off to my
best friend, I just run a limit query.  I see no reason for separate
boxes except to avoid the overhead of writing to a huge inbox, and an
oldbox is sufficient for that.)

> but sometimes I get through a message, and then discover that I'm using
> the wrong rc file.  Right now I edit the headers manually, but that's
> obviously annoying.  What I want is to press a key and change both the
> >From and the Reply-To headers.  Here's what I tried so far:

Well, you can do something like this:
macro compose <f5> ":set editor=\"echo -e '/From:/s/^.*$/From: William
O\'Higgins <addy_I_want@xxxxxxxxxxx>/\nwq' | ed\"\n<edit-headers>:set
editor=\"vi\""

> macro   compose
>       <f5> "my_hdr From: William O'Higgins <addy_I_want@xxxxxxxxxxx>"

Nope, that won't work.  When you're in the compose menu, Mutt has already
created the message, so it's too late for a my_hdr to take effect.
It'll only affect messages you compose after that.

> I was going to worry about adding the change to the Reply-To once I got
> it half right, but I haven't got there yet.

Once you get that complex, it's easier to make an editor script:

macro compose <f5> ":set editor='some_script'\n<edit-headers>:set editor='vi'"

...and here's some_script:

#!/bin/sh
file=$1
(
 echo "/From:/s/^.*\$/From: William O'Higgins <addy_I_want@xxxxxxxxxxx>/"
 echo "/Reply-To:/s/^.*\$/Reply-To: William O'Higgins <addy_I_want@xxxxxxxxxxx>/
wq"
) | ed $file

> Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?  Thanks.

There's no single right direction, but I just pointed you in a right
direction :-)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel