one more macro question (killthread)

Hey folks,

so, trying to figure out a way to get rid of annoying unwanted threads
on high-volume mailing lists.  Following some stuff found in the
archives of this list and debian-usr, the idea is to build a list of
message-id's which procmail will then use to check the References
header of incoming mail.

I have a procmail  recipe (swiped from someone else) which I think
will work:
:0:
*  ? $FORMAIL -x References: | grep -isF -f /home/matt/.mutt/kill
$MAILDIR/.kill/

however, the trick is to get the right message-id's into the
killfile.  This should be done from within mutt, and I thought the
following macro would work:

macro index "\Cx\Cq" "| formail -x Message-Id: >>
/home/matt/.mutt/kill-lists/messages"

(actually it should be slightly more complicated than that and grab
the References header as well, & perhaps check all the ID's against
the existing killfile, and expire message-id's every once in a while,
& make it possible to remove messages from the killfile...  but this
is a start)

However, while the syntax is apparently fine (I get no errors, and if
I change >> to >, the existing 'messages' file is deleted), no output
is produced.  I find this wierd.  if I try this on a random message
from the shell command line, e.g.,

cd Maildir/cur
formail -x Message-Id: < 1074362408.13836_1.anarres\:2\,S
>>/home/matt/.mutt/kill-lists/messages
cat /home/matt/.mutt/kill-lists/messages

...I get the real message-Id as output.  So something seems to be subtly
wrong.  Anyone see it right off the bat?

thx,
matt