Re: compiling problems

I solved the problem by replacing the tildes with spelling out my home
directory.  I was quite shocked to find out about expansion not occurring

bash-2.05a$ echo ~
/home/jspeigle
bash-2.05a$ echo abc~
abc~
bash-2.05a$ echo ~abc
~abc
bash-2.05a$ echo ~/home
/home/jspeigle/home

so maybe ~/ would have worked.  Thanks to everybody.