Re: "too few arguments" & odd display

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 05:36:20PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2004-01-14, Matt Price <matt.price@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hey folks,
> >
> > Having accidentally messed about with my .muttrc when trying out the
> > muttrc-mode that came with the emacs-goodies-el (it didn't seem to
> > work so well!) I seem to have inadvertently introduced an error I
> > can't trace so well.  When I open up a mailbox, I get the messge "too
> > few arguments" in the bottom line of the screen (do we cal lthat the
> > minibuffer?), after which the mailbox loads up fine, but no longer
> > displays the index as I expect.
>
> Check your folder-hooks.  This one:
>
>     folder-hook =.IN.debian$ "push '<delete-pattern> ~d >2w\n'
>
> and a few following it appear to be missing a '"'.

that didn't seem to bother mutt, though I fixed it.  But you were
right -- folder hooks it was -- I had omitted the final regex from a
color statement:
folder-hook . 'color index white black'

I guess I should put something like

folder-hook . 'color index white black \'*\''

in its place

> >                                  In particular, the sender's name is
> > no longer listed in the main column when the mail's been sent to a
> > list -- instead, I get "To List Name".  Oddly, if the mail is cc'ed to
> > the list, the sender's name is displayed; and when the mail is sent
> > directly to me, the sender's name is also displayed.
>
> You no longer set 'index_format'.  I think you are seeing the
> default behavior.

no, oddly, that wasn't it -- didn'th ave to change the index_format
(which I've never really ucessfully gotten to work) to fix the
problem.  Somehow mutt got confused by the color statement in the
folder-hook, then maybe didn't want to process t he rest of the
muttrc?

Thanks as always for your help, gary!
matt