Obscuring identity

At 5:44 AM PST on January 3 Andrew Sayers possibly sent off:
% On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:32:42PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
% > >
% > > And a better question, how do I know that the signature is yours since
% > > you have no passphrase and therefore no security?
% >

<snip>

% On a mailing list, your identity is preserved only by the "From" line in
% the body of messages you've previously sent.  Once something happens
% such that you need to securely prove your identity, it's too late to
% build up such a body of messages.
%
% --
% David T-G                      * There is too much animal courage in
% (play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.
% (work) davidtgwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"
% http://justpickone.org/davidtg/      Shpx gur Pbzzhavpngvbaf Qrprapl Npg!

Well, we know you're NOT David T-G because you could not bring yourself to use
nonstandard quoting characters.

And since this message does use "% " for quoting, and includes a quoted
signature, everyone is going to think this IS from David T-G, and ignore the
From(:) lines.

--
GPG/PGP Keys: http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/pgp.html
The Slinky of Destiny is returning to the top of the stairs.