Re: How to disable passphrase prompt

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:44:35PM +0000, Andrew Sayers or whoever wrote:
> It's important because I say it's important, and you should all believe
> me because I'm the widely trusted Patrick Shanahan, not Michael Herman
> pretending to be him.

I have heard this argument too many times. But what people usually
forget to add is that, in the absence of a proof of linkage between an
individual and a signing key, the signature is not much worth. In that
case it merely functions as a rather overblown CRC checksum proving that
the mail arrived untampered with. This may also be important
information, but does not help in establishing trust in an identity.

In the case of normal PGP, if there is no web of trust leading from me
to you, your signature means nothing to me.

But since writing on a mailing list does not require a trusted identity,
and neither does reading mail, I don't care and judge messages here by
their content.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM