Coloring Incomplete Lines in Pager (was: Re: upgrade to 1.5.5.1 results in funky colorization)

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 01:16:15AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:35:11AM -0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:

> > > It's a feature that actually makes Mutt less flexible, since in the
> > > previous behavior it was possible to color the entire line or any part
> > > of it selectively, by customizing the regexp.  Now, your only choice is
> > > to color the entire line, or to use a custom pager (say, w3m or less -r)
> >
> > Thanks for the info guys, I do appreciate it.
> >
> > Downgrade to 1.4.1 starting...
>
> I wish I could tell you there's a better alternative.  Sadly, an
> external pager means you can't enter commands while viewing the message.
> (That's why you'll notice that in my own config, I don't touch $pager,
> instead turning 'l' into a macro for piping the message through my display
> filter and into w3m, and then going into the standard pager to view
> the message.  I need that since I use message-hooks very extensively.
> I'm still working on finding a good alternative.)  I suppose you could
> use the Guile patch for Mutt, and then Scheme your way to a solution,
> but I can't help you there.  (Allister, maybe?)

With my revised version of xml2ansi, there now IS a better alternative.
xml2ansi[1] now has a couple of #defines which color every single
character individually, which gets around all outstanding color-clobbering
issues I have with Mutt's pager.  The net result is that you can now color
your messages using sed, awk, perl, or any other filter, as shown in my
own displayfilterlist [2].  The net result is that you no longer have to
use my funky pager setup in order to get colors the way you want them,
where you want them :-)

Happy New Day, my fellow Mutter,
 - Dave :-)

[1]