[OT] You Don't Want To Read This (was: Re: How to disable passphrase prompt)

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:33:23AM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:26:56AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > > Because it would be an ugly kludge?
> >
> > so what?  It works, and doesn't break anything :-)
>
> Breaks your personal integrity.

Oh, that just breaks my heart ;-P

> > > Does Mutt not use an int counter?
> >
> > huh?
>
> Means it's not `forever', just for 2**31 units of time or so.

It's really 2**32-1, which is closer to 2**32, so let's use that instead:

$ echo $((2**30/60*100/60*2/24*2/36525))
136

136 years is an awfully long time to be running a program without
upgrading (or segfaulting, or losing power, or SOMETHING).  Besides,
your 32-bit machine's time_t is obsolete, so time itself will be reset on
your system (not to mention you'll probably be dead anyway, but I assume
you'll set up a trust to keep Mutt running postmortem, or make some
other suitable arrangements) long before Mutt forgets your passphrase,
so we could just as easily call it forever.

Now, if you're running on a 64-bit machine or with a libc implementing a
64-bit time_t, the 136 above should be multiplied by 2**32, which means
the sun will probably have exploded before Mutt forgets your passphrase
(again, assuming your terribly ancient Mutt is still running at that
time ... "Hey, Gramps?"  "What's up, my little Mikey?"  "What's that
funny thing in the basement hooked up to a string of black boxes which is
hooked up to the wall?"  "Well, you see, son ... billions of years ago,
your great x 143165576 grandpa set up this thing in order to see whether
it'd forget his passphrase before the sun exploded."  "Oh, so that biggish
thing is, like, an ancient computer?"  "Yes, son."  "...and what about
all those other boxes?"  "Well, the one closest to the computer is an
uninterruptible power supply.  Back in those days, they were necessary
in order to make sure the computer had a steady supply of electricity.
However, it has long run out of recharging capability, so a few of
the other boxes are also uninterruptible power supplies.  The rest are
adaptors; it's been a long time, you know, and coventions for plugs,
voltages, and power cycling have all changed many times.  Your great
x 143165576 grandpa was a very brave man, you know.  He challenged all
the other scientists of this computer over here, and a few years ago,
he finally won on a bright morning, the 187th day of the solar year.
He has brought honor to our family, and you should be proud.  I have been
pushing for Jan to be added to the 187th day saints, but the sainters
don't really understand history very well, so they don't appreciate his
contribution to society. . ." --translated through many hops from some
language of the future to early 21st century English) ;-P

$ echo $((2**30/30*2*2))
143165576

 - Dave

Please visit this link: