Re: keyservers

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:52:07AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> ...and then David Yitzchak Cohen said...
> % On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 07:35:51AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> % > ...and then David Yitzchak Cohen said...

> % > % for this purpose, simply adding any interesting keys to the keyserver?
> % >
> % > No for sensibility reasons; why would you, when you'd have to first go
> %
> % Well, I meant something more along the lines of having procmail
> % automatically fetch all keys used to sign incoming messages and dump
>
> Ah.
>

> % them in your private keyserver.  You then don't need to touch an outside
> % keyserver when you want to verify an email, but your keyring isn't
> % automatically polluted, either.
>
> Meaning you'd still have pgp_verify_sig turned off and only occasionally
> verify a sig -- and thus load the key onto your ring?

No, I have pgp_verify_sig turned on, but key autogetting stays off
by default.  Now, if I find a key I don't recognize, I use a macro to
lookup the key (instantly, since it's a local keyserver) and then decide
whether I want to add it to my keyring.  Regardless, the entire operation
never traverses my Internet connection.

> Maybe I'm spoiled
> but I just get the keys directly when necessary,

What I actually do in reality is the same.  I use the getkeys script
posted here a while ago to fetch any keys that pop up often enough so
they're worth verifying.  (Remember, somebody who makes one post in ten
years, his signature means next to nothing, since it only ties those
two posts together.)

> and when it takes a
> moment or two

Well, I do that in a separate window, so I don't care if it takes a
moment or two, or ten million.

> I just flip to another window and read that list or hack
> that code or whatever is there (at the moment I have 44 windows from
> which to choose in this xterm alone ;-)

JFF - I have 6 workspaces, each of which has somewhere between 5 and 15
windows, as I type this ... and I don't run no stinkn' xterms, either ;-P

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel