FreeBSD + Procmail + Postfix + Mutt

I am running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE p14 with Mutt 1.5 and Procmail 3.22
installed. I have been using Sylpheed as my MUA for a while now and like
how easy it is to setup pgp and filters. I like how fast Mutt is thats
why I want to switch. I find the documentation on configuring and
setting up a .muttrc file very difficult. It doesn't explain well
enough. I want to completely switch from Sylpheed to Mutt for 100%
e-mail. I just need to setup filters and I am very confused about doing
this. Everytime someone tells me to do something I'm pretty sure they
are leaving out alot of *other* things I am suppose to do cause just
setting up a .procmailrc file just doesn't seem to kick it.

echo $MAIL
/var/mail/usrname

I really want to setup filters so I can move on to the next thing in
mutt.