Re: can you use tag-prefix to save many messages to one folder?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:07:28PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> % <tag-pattern>~d >1m
> % <tag-prefix><save-message>=LISTS.old.mutt
> Looks fine.  How many messages were tagged when you ran the first one?

A lot.  I know this because they all had *'s next to them after the
tag-pattern command.

> Well, it *should* be easy to find, but it would appear that you have
> found it.  With the impossible eliminated, all that remains is the
> improbable, so let's tackle that.
> Are you doing this through a macro or through ordinary keystrokes?

_mostly_ ordinary keystrokes.  However, my save-message command is
accessed through a macro, which saves things to a ham folder for my
spam-learning script.  Perhaps this is the problem.

> To what do you have tag-prefix bound?  [Pressing '?' should show a list
> of all functions and their bindings.]

Semicolon, as per default.  When I hit ';', it puts "tag-" on the
status line and waits for a key.. just as I would expect it to.

> Are you in threaded mode?  If so, are your threads collapsed?

Yes.  No.

> It may sound silly, but are you sure you only saved the one message?
> Similarly, are you sure that you had more than one matching candidate?

Yes to both.  I went and changed to the other folder and there was
only one message there.  I came back to =LISTS.mutt and there were
still scads of messages there.  As far as matching goes, unless the
splats in the index format are lying to me, many many messages were
tagged.

I'll try it with a non-macro version of save-message.  Hopefully that
will do it.  Otherwise, I'll come back with more details :-)

Thanks,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> | http://amacleod.is-a-geek.org/