Re: please explain purpose of pgp_decode_command/pgp_good_sign

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:11:37PM -0800, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have read lots of docs on using PGP and/or GPG in mutt.

/me suggests you duck ;-)

> To just sign emails, I can just set pgp_sign_command, pgp_good_sign
> and pgp_decode_command.  Only 3 extra lines in .muttrc if I'm not
> mistaken.....

Well, that's all you need for a barebones PGP config.

> My question is this, it is clear what pgp_sign_command is
> for but what does pgp_decode_command and pgp_good_sign do?

> Why do I need to "decode" my email if I'm just signing??

You don't need to.

> There is a pgp_decrypt_command so decode does NOT mean decryption.

However, you need to decode the PGP signature if you hope to be able to
verify anybody's signature (including your own).

> Also, what is need for pgp_good_sign??

pgp_good_sign is useful to set if your PGP/GPG return code is bogus.
Here's what TFM has to say about it (from section 6.3: Configuration
variables):

pgp_good_sign

Type: regular expression
Default: ""

If you assign a text to this variable, then a PGP signature is only considered
verified if the output from $pgp_verify_command contains the text. Use this
variable if the exit code from the command is 0 even for bad signatures.

HTH,
 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel