Re: Question about key bindings

On Fri, Dec 12 2003 at 11:24:08AM BRST, Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >From the 1.5 manual, section 3.3 "Changing the default key bindings":
>   function specifies which action to take when key is pressed.  For a
>   complete list of functions, see the ``reference''.  The special
>   function noop unbinds the specified key sequence.
>
> Either the manual is incorrect, or the code is.  While Lessig's law
> indicates that ipso facto, the former is true, it is probable that the
> latter is actually of more concern.  That is, the manual describes
> desirable behavior, and therefore _should_ be correct.  If the code
> says otherwise, it ought to be fixed.
>
> Actually, in my opinion, binding a key to noop should have the
> behavior as coded, but there should be added an "unbind" command which
> deletes a binding from the table.

        Or perhaps a function "default", which restores the default
behaviour.

        Maybe it can even *contain* the default behaviour, so we don't have
to define the default keybinding for functions in... well, I forget where,
but it's the same place where we tell mutt a function exists :)

        Anyway, so we could do

bind index <key> default

> Expect a posting from me to mutt-dev in a little while either
> containing a patch or saying "gosh this was harder than I thought."

        Having already coded a function for mutt, I'd say making a "default"
function wouldn't be so hard, I think.

        Anyway, if you choose the latter, I'll try to jump in and code it.

        Good luck :)

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <rbp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>

As I always say: "Only an idiot quotes himself".