Question about key bindings

Hi folks,

here is a question about key bindings. The L key is by default index
bound with list-reply and at the same time generic bound with
bottom-page which you can see when you open the help screen. This
collision makes pressing the L key only execute list-reply and not
bottom-page which I would like to have. Now if I do
:bind index L noop
I would expect that now that the index binding is gone the generic
binding is automatically active but it is not. Why?

Then even if I do
:bind generic L bottom-page
to activate the generic binding it still remains inactive although a
generic binding is supposed to work in the index menu as well. Why?

Only if I do
:bind index L bottom-page
it works. And I bind the list-reply function to a different key.

Best regards

Jens