Re: Variables in .muttrc

Hello,

 On Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 9:50:16 AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> Is there any way one can have 'user' variables in a .muttrc file?

    Yes, more or less. You can read the value of environment variables.
But setting them from inside muttrc needs patch-1.5-me.setenv.4 from
Michael R. Elkins.

> to set a variable to contain a list of all the mailing lists one is
> subscribed to and then to use it in 'lists', 'subscribe' and
> 'mailboxes' commands.

    For this there is specifically the patch-1.4.0.cd.my_list.0.4 from
Cédric Duval. His site states:

| This patch adds a new command, my_list, which allows you to create
| your own (or add to an existing) list of items (single strings or
| regular expressions). These lists can then be used in ~ patterns, and
| the following commands: folder-hook, mailboxes, (un)lists and
| (un)subscribe. Some examples:
|
| my_list   mutt_folders    =mutt_users =mutt_dev =mutt_announce
| my_list   debian_folders  =debian_user =debian_devel
| my_list   oe_users        steve@xxxxxxx joe@xxxxxxx
| my_list   debian_lists    debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| my_list   debian_lists    debian-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|
| mailboxes =inbox %mutt_folders %debian_folders
|
| subscribe %debian_lists
|
| folder-hook .               'set sort=date'
| folder-hook %debian_folders 'set sort=score'
| folder-hook %mutt_folders   'set sort=threads'
|
| send-hook .               'set pgp_create_traditional=no'
| send-hook '~t %oe_users'  'set pgp_create_traditional=yes'
|
| save-hook '~C %debian_lists' +archives/debian
| fcc-hook  '~t %debian_lists' +sent/debian

    BTW subscribed lists are known. So one declares mailing lists with
either "lists" or "subscribe", not both.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Microsoft Outlook Express users concerned about readability: For much
better viewing quotes in your messages, check the little freeware