Re: UTF-8 issues

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:28:21PM -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:36:53PM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > > Well, sure.  There's a compressed maildir folder at
> > >
> > > http://carlos.sna.cx/mutt/problematic_message.tar.gz
> >
> > I took the message from there, and sendmail(1)ed it to myself.
> > Sure enough, it didn't display properly, so I had to ^E on it.
> > Even with that, though, the subject doesn't show up properly.  (I have
> > rfc2047_parameters set, BTW.  The subject isn't individually encoded,
> > though, so that has no effect here.)  Notice that the message itself
> > isn't in MIME at all, so I believe a recent post (with a patch) to the
> > mutt-dev list applies here: without MIME, Mutt essentially doesn't allow
> > internationalized headers, unless you apply his patch (which uses the
> > body charset for the header).  If you want, I'll forward you the post.
> > (The web-based archives for this list suck, so you're almost certainly
> > better off letting me forward the copy from my own archives to you.)
>
> I'd really appreciate that patch.  I could also forward it to Debian's
> mutt maintainer.

Unfortunately, the patch I just forwarded to the list won't do the
trick for you.  I thought I'd seen one that was going to interpret the
entire header internationally, but I must've looked through the mail
too quickly :-(

> > > Notice it lacks Content-Type, for instance...
> >
> > It lacks MIME, plain and simple.  It's technically a pre-MIME message,
> > and Mutt has a totally different set of rules for it :-(
>
> Oh, I see.  I should read the appropriate RFCs...

Don't bother - they're unreadable ;-/

> > > Yeah, that might be a bug in the version I run. (that has been fixed
> > > already?)
> >
> > beats me ... if you can forward me a sample message, I can try doing
> > \e\n on it and report what happens. . .
> >
> > > I guess I'll just compile mutt by hand and find out for myself, but
> > > please check anyway :-)
> >
> > done :-)
>
> I've checked that same message against mutt cvs head and the problem
> persists, so...

I'm on CVS head minus only a few changes, so if it doesn't work here,
it won't work on CVS head.  (I update to CVS head every time I see a
useful change committed.)

> Please send me the patch :-)

I forwarded the not-so-it patch to the list.  As I said, though,
it's useless.  There may already be a patch doing exactly what you want
floating around for years, for all we know.  This sounds like a likely
complaint for many Mutt users, UTF or not.  If it weren't almost 0400,
I'd probably google around a bit. . .

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel