Re: UTF-8 issues

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:17:16AM -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:

> I decided to jump on the UTF-8 bandwagon a few weeks ago and I'm having
> some weird problems with messages that are sent without any kind of
> indication that the message is ISO-8859-1 encoded (or worse, since a
> Subject, for instance, should specify the encoding and the accents and
> other special characters should be encoded, at least AFAIK).

Can you try sending me a problematic email?  I get loads of email from
all kinds of sources, and I haven't noticed any trouble with most mails
that aren't deliberately mislabeled by the sending MUA (like Outlook
likes to do, for instance).  Mutt simply assumes ISO-8859-1, AFAIK.

If you wanna compare your config to mine, all the charset-relevant stuff
is in my main muttrc [1].

> There's something else that is weird; some messages, as shown in
> mutt_utf8_msg.png (before) and mutt_utf8_msg.png (after) present on a

That second one should be mutt_utf8_msg2.png, BTW, in case anybody didn't
figure it out.

> website I setup with screenshots of these annoyances
> (http://carlos.sna.cx/mutt/) show that, somehow, just invoking edit-type
> (bound to ^E here) with its default "text/plain" argument causes what
> you saw change from the first to the second screen grab.

That's a mystery to me.  Maybe changing the content-type to text/plain
invokes Mutt's assumption-making code automatically?  beats me. . .

> I run Debian GNU/Linux unstable, mutt-utf8 version 1.5.4+20031024-1 and
> libncursesw5 5.3.20030719-4, which is the library that provides mutt
> with the UTF-8 support, apparently.

I'm running Mutt from CVS (currently a bit newer than 1.5.5.1i), and
libncurses 5.3 compiled as libncursesw also (which allows Mutt to deal
with your terminal in a reasonable manner - mutt+ncurses works just
fine since UTF is built into your terminal (or terminal emulator), but
mutt+ncursesw means Mutt can format stuff correctly, since it knows
how many screen characters are occupied by a given string ... else,
mutt simply assumes strlen(3) provides that answer, which of course
isn't a correct assumption in UTF-8) on a Slackware GNU/Linux stable as
a rock, FWIW [2].

HTH [3],
 - Dave

[1]