Re: locking files over NFS

Am 2003-12-02 17:15:47, schrieb Ulf von Barth:

>   Dear mutt,

;-)

Hallo Ulf,

>Couldn't lock /nfs/urd/users/barth/folders/filename .

;-)
Locking is under linux curently not implemented.
If you have nfs-common installed (Package from Debian) and you
use a UNIX-NFS-Server like Solaris then you can lock but the
nfs-(user|kernel)-server can not lock.

>In the messages log I find:
>
>Dec  2 16:41:07 oden kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 130.235.92.60
>Dec  2 16:41:07 oden kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 130.235.92.60

I have had the same problem...

If you use mutt, why not use maildir ?
Thats power live !!!
No locking needed.

I am running fetchmail, procmail, courier-(imap,pop3,mta)
and all with maildir. Never I have gotten problems.

And it works PERFECTLY with incremental Backups.

>1. How does mutt lock files on other machines?

Never, it is not implemented in the Linux-nfs-Server

>2. Can one (without recompiling) stop mutt from trying to lock the
>   files on the other machine?

NO, it is required for mailboxes...
...exept you like corrupted ones !

>3. In your documentation it says that there is a variable
>   dotlock_program which, as default, points to the standard
>   location /usr/local/bin/mutt_dotlock which is supposed to be
>   the standard location of the binary of the program which does
>   the file locking in mutt.
>   There is no program in that position on my machine!
>   Which program does mutt use?

I don't know

>4. I would like mutt not to lock any files. I tried to make
>   /usr/local/bin/mutt_dotlock point to /bin/true - but this
>   had no effect. Why?

Use maildir and you have no locking.

>Finally a question of a different kind.
>I often - these days - receive mails wich Attachments in html code.
>How and where do I specify that mutt should use netscape to open
>such Attached mails?

message > /dev/null

>                     Yours Sincerely,
>
>                       Ulf von Barth

Grüße
Michelle

> Prof. Ulf von Barth                 Tel: 46-46-2229069

Ups. Du bist Prof.

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.