locking files over NFS

   Dear mutt,

   I have been using your program mutt to read my mail at home
while on-the-road. In the past I had problems saving my read
mail to a disc on another machine where I have my home directory.
The mail arrives at a machine which is running Red Hat Linux 7.2
(it has an intel processor Pentium III) and I want to save it to
a similar machine. In those days, saving a mail through mutt
resulted in the following message:

Couldn't lock /nfs/urd/users/barth/folders/filename .

within mutt!

I contacted mutt-org but there was no suggestion but to recompile
mutt with other options.

   For a long time the problem went away by itself but has now
reappeared. I am not going to recompile mutt because I am not the
system administrator. I am sure the problem has to do with the
system on the machine with the mail (the mailserver).

In the messages log I find:

Dec  2 16:41:07 oden kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 130.235.92.60
Dec  2 16:41:07 oden kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 130.235.92.60

where you see the IP number of the machine where I have my home
directory (oden is the mail server).
   I now have the following questions for the mutt org.:

1. How does mutt lock files on other machines?

2. Can one (without recompiling) stop mutt from trying to lock the
   files on the other machine?

3. In your documentation it says that there is a variable
   dotlock_program which, as default, points to the standard
   location /usr/local/bin/mutt_dotlock which is supposed to be
   the standard location of the binary of the program which does
   the file locking in mutt.
   There is no program in that position on my machine!
   Which program does mutt use?

4. I would like mutt not to lock any files. I tried to make
   /usr/local/bin/mutt_dotlock point to /bin/true - but this
   had no effect. Why?

Finally a question of a different kind.
I often - these days - receive mails wich Attachments in html code.
How and where do I specify that mutt should use netscape to open
such Attached mails?

                     Yours Sincerely,

                       Ulf von Barth

 Prof. Ulf von Barth                 Tel: 46-46-2229069
 Dept. of Physics, FTT Group         Fax: 46-46-2224438
 Lund University                     Mobile: 46-705-975952
 Sölvegatan 14 A                     E-mail: barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 S-22362 LUND, SWEDEN