Re: Mutt&Procmail recipes ...

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:13:49PM +1300, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> Thanks Yawar,
>
> I apt-installed msmtp and tried to configure it
> (./configure, make, make install).  Unfortunately, I
> received the message
>
> configure: error: neither GnuTLS nor OpenSSL found.

Hi,

For some reason the configure script can't find your OpenSSL
or GnuTLS installation.  Maybe the installations are broken
in some way?  In any case, I'll concentrate on OpenSSL here,
by way of example.

The INSTALL file that comes with Msmtp contains a couple
of helpful hints at the top.  Specifically, you might want
to try:

./configure --with-ssl=openssl CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/openssl"
LDFLAGS="-L/lib"

(sorry for the long line).  On my Red Hat 8.0 system, the
above directories are the paths to the OpenSSL include files
and library files.  Yours may vary.  You can look at what
files were installed with the openssl package by running:

apt-file list openssl

and then go from there.

If openssl is broken, you might want to reinstall it,
thusly:

apt-get --reinstall install openssl

> However, 'apt-get install openssl' tells me it is the
> newest version.
>
> Tux:/# find -name openssl -print ./home/doc/openssl
> ./home/share/doc/openssl ./usr/bin/openssl
> ./usr/share/doc/openssl
>
> 'apt-get install gnutls' told me it could not be found.
>
> Trying to install it, I discovered it needed libcrypt
> 1.1.12 (or zlib), libtasn 0.1.x, and opencdk 0.5.1 ...  I
> installed all of them, but my system still told me GnuTLS
> could not be found.

(You found dependency hell :-)  Debian's APT, strangely
enough, contains the most built-in intelligence of any Linux
package manager to deal with this kind of problem.  You
might want to try:

auto-apt run ./configure [options]

where ``auto-apt run'' runs the configure script and will
ask for permission to install any packages which the
configure script demands.  At least, that's what the APT
HOWTO promises.  But the HOWTO also recommends keeping the
``auto-apt'' database up-to-date with

auto-apt update
auto-apt updatedb
auto-apt update-local

> I decided to stick with exim2 ...

I used to run Sendmail, and then Postfix, before I figured
out that I didn't have to to use Mutt.  Goodbye, long load
times!  Seriously though, something like Mstmp is a godsend;
I had to read tons of documentation to get Sendmail up and
running the way I wanted it.  Postfix was only marginally
easier.  I tried qmail, but gave up in despair.  I never
tried Exim, because I figured three big-time MTAs were
enough for one lifetime ... .  Compared to the full-fledged
MTAs, Msmtp configuration was ridiculously simple: a
three-line ``.msmtprc'' file and two lines added to
``.muttrc''.

HTH,
Yawar Amin