Re: Variables in .muttrc

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 04:27:31PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:13:31AM -0600, Michael Herman wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:50:16AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > >Is there any way one can have 'user' variables in a .muttrc file?
> > >
> > >It would be nice to be able, for example, to set a variable to contain
> > >a list of all the mailing lists one is subscribed to and then to use
> > >it in 'lists', 'subscribe' and 'mailboxes' commands.  At present I
> > >can't see any easy way to avoid repeating the list (OK, I could put
> > >them in a file and use `cat listsfile` but this does seem a bit
> > >clumsy).
> > >

> > How different is it to keep them in a file vs. a variable in the muttrc?  I
> > used to have my mailboxes list created on the fly using a shell script which
> > was executed from within my muttrc.

Why do you say "used to?"  What do you do now?

> Wouldn't this be the same thing (more
> > or
> > less)?

Well, if you keep them in a variable in your Muttrc, then you can
presumably do some fancy variable evaluation from right within your
muttrc.  Unfortunately, Mutt's abilities in this area are severely
limited, anyway.  (That, in a nutshell, is the primary reason for my
From:-setting script, as well as my mailinglist-managing script.)

> It's not hugely different except that one needs the list three times,
> for mailboxes, for lists and for subscribe.  I currently repeat the
> same command in `` for each case, it would be neater not to have to
> repeat the command each time.  Not a big issue but it feels like most
> of the (programming) hooks are there already.

Well, yeah ... the muttrc language isn't intrinsically terribly
powerful, as you've figured out.  Fortunately, you can call external
scripts/programs to do most of the real work.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel