Re: Variables in .muttrc

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:13:31AM -0600, Michael Herman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:50:16AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >Is there any way one can have 'user' variables in a .muttrc file?
> >
> >It would be nice to be able, for example, to set a variable to contain
> >a list of all the mailing lists one is subscribed to and then to use
> >it in 'lists', 'subscribe' and 'mailboxes' commands.  At present I
> >can't see any easy way to avoid repeating the list (OK, I could put
> >them in a file and use `cat listsfile` but this does seem a bit
> >clumsy).
> >

> How different is it to keep them in a file vs. a variable in the muttrc?  I
> used to have my mailboxes list created on the fly using a shell script which
> was executed from within my muttrc.  Wouldn't this be the same thing (more
> or
> less)?

It's not hugely different except that one needs the list three times,
for mailboxes, for lists and for subscribe.  I currently repeat the
same command in `` for each case, it would be neater not to have to
repeat the command each time.  Not a big issue but it feels like most
of the (programming) hooks are there already.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)