Mutt&Procmail recipes ...

David,

  thanks for your humorous and helpful reply. I have looked at my
procmaillog again and, as far as I can make out, procmail was processing
mail folder recipes until July 28th. The next date mentioned in sequence
was September 29, from which time there is no record of it processing
them. It might be relevant that during that time I changed from
Mail to $MAILDIR mode and may have changed something inappropriately.

I have attached my environmental variables below for comment.
They are followed in procmail by SpamAssassin stuff, then recipes.

3) it's particularly difficult to divine your .procmailrc contents just
from the output of procmail, but I bet that you have something like
# put the Message-ID: in the cache to dedupe
  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
  * ! ^From:.*davidtg.*justpickone
  | $FORMAIL -D 16384 $HOME/.procmail/.msgid.cache
in there to remove duplicates. Note the colon line; msgid.lock is
specifically called as the name of the lock file to use (and the locking
is to avoid having more than one process doing something at a time, which

in this case is writing to the msgid cache)

See below.

4) you'd probably get much better answers, and will certainly get much
more interest, on the procmail list :-)

Fair comment, but I don't understand why my efforts to subscribe to it keep failing.
<procmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> does not seem to be (yet) up, and the
current University of Aachen host keeps refusing to subscribe me. <debian-user>
seems to be having its problems with exploited servers ... which leaves
<mutt-user>... :-[
I've attached my environmental variables below.  I'd be grateful for any
constructive comments.

[I emailed you last night using mutt but don't know if it arrived. I'm repeating
it today via mozilla-mail.]

Cheers,

Adam Bogacki,
afb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#SHELL=/bin/bash
LINEBUF=4096
#PATH=/usr/bin
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
VERBOSE=yes
#MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/INBOX
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmaillog
LOGABSTRACT=all
DROPPRIVS=yes
#SED=/bin/sed
FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail
#LBDBFETCH=/usr/bin/lbdb-fetchaddr
#MESSAGE="/usr/local/bin/gmsgp --no_hscrollbar -f -"
#Nukes duplicate messages
:0 Wh: msgid.lock