Re: Maildir sizes

Chris --

...and then Chris Green said...
%
% On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:25:35AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > Chris, do you mean the whole dir size (15M) or the message size (123 lines)?
% >
% I mean message size seen when using 'chdir' as I'm comparing what I see
%  using mbox, for example:-
% ->  ../                    1024 drwxr-xr-x
%     advertising           25401 -rw-------
%     andrewRound           50469 -rw-------
%     edSirrett             18591 -rw-------
%
% and what I see using maildir:-
% ->   ../                    1024 drwxr-xr-x
%      jobDesc/               1024 drwx------
%      julieFryatt#/          1024 drwx------
[snip]

Aha!  Now I get it.

Sorry, but no.  At least not AFAIK.

Forgive the perhaps-unnecessary basic tutorial, but it might save us a
few email round trips.

Note that your .. entries are each 1024 and have a last block that starts
with a d; they are directories.  Now note that the last blocks for the
mbox files above start with a - because they are files, while the same
for the Maildirs below are still directories.

The size of a file is obvious.  The size of a directory is not everything
that it contains but simply the size of the container holding all of the
pointers to the things that it contains (no, it doesn't really :-)

I'll bet a Twinkie (do you have those across the pond? see

  http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

for more) that it can't be done directly within mutt, and I don't know of
a way to make a hook that runs a du calculation of the dir tree to give
you a report -- and, since those take time, you probably don't want to
anyway.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.