Re: mutt mail dir and enviroment variables

* RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg@xxxxxxx> [2003-11-17 06:44]:
> Ok i need some help with Mutt but not really mutt more just Freebsd in
> general

Well, this *is* the mutt list, but perhaps some help with FreeBSD cna
be given also - if we can somehow contrive that it is mutt related.
How's that?
> I run freebsd 4.8 something
> mutt version 1.4 something
> postfix 2.0.0.16
> bincimap version 1.2.3

Now this isn't helpful. I'm not lecturing or "scolding" you, but really
you should know what versions of anything you are running
FreeBSD 4.8 something? FYGI - Here's how you find out:

$uname -a
FreeBSD monster.colin-raven.nl 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #1: Sat
Nov  1 13:31:35 CET 2003
snotface@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/SMPKERNEL  i386

mutt version 1.4 something? Easy, once again here's how to know better
what 'something' is:

$mutt -v
Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19)
<remainder of output snipped>

> when i execute the command
> #mutt
> i get an empty /var/mail/user mailbox
> i use Maildir and my mail box is /usr/home/user/Maildir
> so if i execute this command
> #mutt -f /usr/home/user/Maildir
> everthing works fine and i can read my mail
> so how do i set mutt to read this mailbox instead of  /var/mail/user
> i tried the .muttrc .mailrc .bashrc .chsrfile in my users home directory
> i tried the .cshrc .profile file in the / directory
> please can someone tell me where to set this vaiable so that i only have
> to do it once and it will work for all the new users i create as well
> please

Well, reading the mutt manual is helpful, but to reduce the RTFM tedium
ever so slightly, think of it this way.....100% of everything within
mutt comes from your .muttrc which is (or should be) located in your
home directory.
In the case of defining how to set your spoolfile and/or mail directory,
place this (OR a variant thereof) in your .muttrc. I prefer these basic
settings right at the top, but apparently it's somewhat optional:

##Main Options
set spoolfile = /home/colin/Maildir
set folder = ~/Maildir
set mbox_type = Maildir

> p.s.  a general overview on makeing these type of setting and which
> files to make them in would be much appriciated as my system is getting
> messy and i cant remeber all the changes i have made or to what files i
> have made them.

I don't know how to answer you on this one. If you're referring to mutt
then take a look at this page:

http://www.mutt.org/links.html#config

These are sample config files from other people. Some are exquisitely
commented, whereas others assume the reader has (by that time) read the
manual, played with their own mutt setup and found some things that work
and don't work, and gained some familiarity with various other config
options.

Don't be afraid to play with stuff! You can't actually break anything
easily! Here are two things you should probably do first though:

1. Back up your mail files first to a safe and known location with a
"readme" in there to say where the files originally lived and why you
backed them up. If you don't care about your mail, or it isn't mission
critical to you, then this step isn't necessary - BUT it's a first class
habit to acquire for the future.

2. If you're wary of making changes and ending up with a config you
can't work with, copy your .muttrc to known location and name it
.muttrc1/.muttrc2 and so on as you incrementally make changes. If
something blows up and you can't remember what you did...no problem.
Delete your .muttrc and copy back the _last_ .muttrc that worked. It's
an extreme method, but if you're concerned and feel you're getting out
of your depth, it's an ultra-safe approach.

Regarding your system as a whole, you need to evolve some standard
method whereby you record the actions you're taking. In the beginning I
kept a journal in my home directory. Every time I made a system change I
entered what I *intended* to accomplish and what files I would edit,
then what happened. By referring to my history file (.bash_history if
you're using a bash shell) and copying out the command sequence into my
journal I kept track of what changes I was making and what the results
were. In addition I read manuals and howto's copiously.

Eventually I got familiar with where stuff was kept, and by judcious use
of comments when I changed a config file here or there I began to
understand my system better, and also gained a level of confidence that
I could backtrack and find out what I did if something went strange on
me.

This went beyond mutt matters but the philosophy I stated is worthwhile
adopting.  If you get in a jam with muut post back to the list and we'll
try to help you. One last thing....please please read the documentation.
It's well written, and in addition there's a shedload of other info and
howto's sprayed everywhere around the www.

Good luck with mutt and your FreeBSD system.

Regards
-Colin