Re: list-new

On Fri 14 Nov 2003 at 06:51am +0000, corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Warning: potentialy brain dead question(s) following.
>
> Is there a "list-new" command?  Similar to "list-reply"... only
> instead of replying to a message, it uh, well, prepares a _new_
> message to the specified list?

If you mean you want to go to an existing list message and start a new
thread to the list from it, there's not such a built-in command.
However, as section 2.4.1 of the manual states,

    When replying to messages, if you remove the In-Reply-To: field from
    the header field, Mutt will not generate a References: field, which
    allows you to create a new message thread.

So just remove the In-Reply-To: field in your editor.

> Also, I would prefer that my mailing list inboxes specify the sender
> of the message rather than the destination ( the destination being
> obvious and redundant ) in the status view? For instance, this is what
> it currently looks like for mutt-users:
>
>   4   L Oct 31 To Mutt Users' L  a little comparison of procmail and maildrop
>
> I'd rather see who actualy sent the email - it's kinda silly to have
> the To: field displayed...

See the manual, section 6.3.86.  You might want to replace %L with %n in
your index_format.

> And finally, I'm a bit confused between the subscribe and the lists
> directives, even after reading the section in the mutt manual - if I'm
> subscribed to a mailing list, do I want/need to put that list into
> *both* the 'subscribe' _and_ the 'lists' directive, or just to one or
> the other?

Just one or the other.  To quote the manual,

    "Every subscribed mailing list is known."

> I currently put them in both, as follows:
>
> subscribe mutt-users zope3-dev rolo-users zope zope-cmf zpt openbox zope3-cvs
> lists     mutt-users zope3-dev rolo-users zope zope-cmf zpt openbox zope3-cvs
>
> The manual section seems somewhat confused on the matter:
>
>   "For example, if you've subscribed to the Mutt mailing list, you
>   will receive mail addresssed to mutt-users@xxxxxxxxx So, to tell
>   Mutt that this is a mailing list, you could add ``lists mutt-users''
>   to your initialization file.  To tell mutt that you are subscribed
>   to it, add ``subscribe mutt-users'' to your initialization file
>   instead."

The difference is explained a couple of paragraphs before this in
section 3.9.  For subscribed lists, mutt adds a Mail-Followup-To header
field to tell other mailers not to send replies to your personal
address.

> Thanks, sorry.

You're welcome, that's okay.

-John