Fetching entire message for index page

I check headers in messages to see if my address is mentioned.  For
example:

color index       yellow  black "~x hank\.org"   # References
color index       green black "~i hank\.org"     # Message ID
color index       blue  black "~h In-Reply-To:.*hank\.org

The problem is I'm using imap over the network and those checks causes the
entire message to be fetched (which is a pain on a slow link with lots
of messages with large binary attachments).

Is it a limiation of imap that the entire message must be fetched?

I'm using courier-imap 1.4.3-2.3 on Debian Sid.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@xxxxxxxx