Re: If too many addresses in To:

On 2003-11-14, David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:59:31PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> >     PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
>
> Just a little nitpick, but if you set it to $HOME/bin:$PATH (or even
> better AFAIK, ~/bin:$PATH) instead, then you get the neat ability to
> selectively override system-provided binaries, for instance with wrappers
> to the real versions.

Good point.  I actually have my PATH set up the way you suggest for
exactly that reason.  However, you then have to be more careful
about the commands you put in ~/bin.  If you put a version of a
command there that is incompatible with the standard version, or if
you inadvertently give a name to one of your own commands that is
the same as some other command in the system, you can get unexpected
behavior, especially when running other people's shell scripts.
I've found that system administrators can get grumpy when you report
a problem with one of their scripts that turns out to be due to a
command in your own ~/bin.  Therefore, I don't recommend putting
~/bin early in your PATH unless you know what you're doing and are
prepared to deal with the consequences.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division